Monday, February 13, 2006

Another Milestone


I Know you guys are probably getting tired of me blogging about my running but I reached another milestone tonight that I feel like talking about. For about the past two months I've been trying to run 6 miles in under 40 minutes. I've come close on several occassions, 40 minutes 13 seconds being my best time to date. Weather, injuries, illness and headphones falling out my ears have prevented me from acomplishing that goal. I had a good feeling before my run that tonight would be the night. The sky was clear, I was well rested, the nagging injuries were gone and I was totally healthy for the first time in over a week. I made the descission that I was going go for it tonight, I got stretched out and I taped my headphones in my ears tonight so they wouldn't fall out and I was off. I went out a little too fast, completing my first mile in 6 minutes and 6 seconds. My second mile was a little slower and I was at 12:23 through two miles. At my turnaround point at three miles I was at 18:59 and was starting to fade. At that point I didn't think it was my night, I had gone out too fast and I thought I was about to pay for it. I keep my focus and at four miles my time was 25:33. Maybe it was my night afterall. At five miles my time was 31:59 and I knew barring a total colapse I was going to do it. With about half mile left, I was gasping for air and my legs were killing but I wasn't about to give up. As I hit the last quarter "Helter Skelter " by the Beatles started playing on my Ipod and I kicked it up a notch. As I crossed the six mile point I hit the stop button on my watch and was amazed with what I saw 38:28! One minute forty five seconds better than my previous best!

6 comments:

Joanne said...

You rock

justin ubel said...

Impressive grasshopper. What's your target marathon time?

DMC said...

I'm not disclosing that yet

justin ubel said...

What's with the non-disclosure policy?

Chris Steele said...

That is awesome!! Congratulations!

Jessica said...

wow. i haven't even run 1 mile in under 6:30. you rock!