Thursday, February 09, 2006


The Speeding Sausage
The Winter Olympics are almost upon us. Soon we will entertained by sports such as curling, speed skating, bobsled, skeleton, luge and ski jumping. People like Daron Rahlves, Chad Hedrick, Gretchen Bleier, Hermann Meier and Cassie Johnson will become household names. Another name you will hear mentioned is Georg Hackl.

Most of you are probably wondering why would I waste my time writing about a German Luger. It's my blog and I'm going write about whatever I want.

Here in the United States kids dream of being the next Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant or Lebron James in Germany kids dream of being the next Georg Hackl. Nicknamed the “Speeding Sausage” for his ability to squeeze his stocky frame into a speed suit, Hackl is a German Luge legend. He has competed in every winter Olympics since 1988. He’s won the silver medal 1988 and 2002 and gold in 1992, 1994 and 1998. He’s also a three time world champion. It’s also worth mentioning that he’s a two time World Wok racing champion, a sport in which one rides a Chinese Wok down a bobsled track.

This Saturday and Sunday my television will be on NBC watching this legend compete. While I normally cheer for the Americans in the Olympics in the Luge I will be cheering for the “Speeding Sausage.” And if he wins, I will celebrate by having a German Beer!

3 comments:

Aaron Geist said...

3 cheers for curling!

If only I were there to see Dennis' great speed skating impersonation.

DMC said...

Maybe I can get up to Portand soon to bring back the Speedskating. I've also been working on ski jumping from the stairs.

Joanne said...

I'm sorry your sausage didn't even medal!